Saturday, July 21, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Warner Bros.)


What better way to kick off my affiliation with Blastbeats For Freedom than to write a review of HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX. When Fred asked me to submit reviews to this blog, I mentioned in our conversation that I was going to be taking my little sister to watch the new Harry Potter movie that night.
“You should review it,” (right) said Fred.

I should start this out by saying that I couldn’t care about anything less than what I care for Harry Potter. I haven’t read any of the books or seen any of the other movies. My girlfriend (who has read all of the books… yeah, I know…. I picked a winner) was a little worried that I might get confused while watching this without any prior knowledge. Whatever. It’s a kids movie, right?
Right… and a pretty damn-good kids movie at that. I doubt I would ever watch it again but still… I was entertained throughout the movie. From what I hear, the book this film was based on was fucking huge and it shows. Even though it was just over two hours the movie hardly ever slows down. With new characters and plot-twists jumping out every scene. About half way through the film I had to pee but I decided to hold it for fear of coming back and being utterly lost plot-wise. The visuals were amazing. Sure, there was lots of CGI, but unlike most recent Hollywood movies it wasn’t all CGI. Cool, dark atmosphere, reminded me of Tim Burton at times. I don’t know what else to say…
If I was ten years old this would probably be my favorite movie.

Wait, I take that back. Pan's Labrynth would be my favorite movie. Fuck Harry Potter!

-Zac Chavez

No comments: